Creating a meditation + yoga space can be fun and fulfilling. It’s always nice to do something for ourselves, especially when the benefits are so numerous. You create a space that you continuously come back to for reflection, peace, and growth when you create a meditation + yoga space. So let’s start decorating!
There are 3 basic steps for creating your new meditation + yoga space. You must:
- Choose the space
- Decorate it
- Use it
- (Optional) Bless your new space
Choosing a space can be challenging, since you have to really take an honest look at what space you can use in your home. Maybe you have a small living area and have to think outside the box to find a space that works. Or perhaps you have the space but its cluttered and in need of cleaning.
Decorating it can be super fun, even if decorating isn’t one of your strengths. Choose some of your favorite items in your house to place around your new area. Pick things with good memories and healing vibes.
Using your new meditation + yoga space can be the most difficult of all. Remember, it doesn’t matter if you pick the best place and the best decorations if you never use it! You want to create your space so that it is motivating. It should help you want to use it, inviting you back to the peace that a daily practice can bring.
Where to Create Your Meditation + Yoga Space
You want to choose a place that will help provide you growth and peace. Pick an area that is out of the way of the normal traffic in the house. This can be difficult in smaller living spaces but not impossible. Be flexible! Unused corners and rooms make ideal areas to create your meditation + yoga space. Areas where furniture can easily be moved are good options too. You want to choose a place that has good natural light and enough room for you to sit, stand, lay down, and stretch.
- Somewhere that feels good to you, where you can be comfortable and relaxed
- Flat surface, strong and stable
- Out of the way of busy or high-traffic areas
- Clean and clear of disorder
- Area that feels peaceful, light, motivating, loving
- Lots of natural light if possible
How to Decorate Your Meditation + Yoga Space
Keep your space airy and uncluttered. The idea is to create space and promote a feeling of peace. Choose 5-7 decorations that bring you happiness, joy, and peace, and arrange them thoughtfully in your meditation + yoga space. Choose a few more if decorating a larger area or room.
- Any items that you love that bring you peace, balance, and motivation
- Candles, lanterns, incense, and/or essential oils
- Blankets, small pillows, and yoga mat/blocks/bands in a basket
- Shells, gems, rocks, stones, statues, wind chimes, dream catchers, tapestries, or string lights
- Speaker for music or guided practices
How to Use Your Meditation + Yoga Space
It doesn’t matter how much effort you put into picking the perfect space and decorating if you don’t use it. The first 2 steps are important but not as important as actually putting the space to good use. A great way to ensure that you regularly come back to your space is to diversify how you use it. We can get so focused on the idea that “it has to be used only for mediation or yoga” that the full use of the space can be lost. Here are some fun ways to enjoy your new mediation + yoga space:
- Build a daily practice
- 3-5 Sun Salutations
- Pranayama (breathing) exercises
- Mudras (spiritual hand gestures)
- Read a book
- Enjoy a warm cup of tea
- Burn sage
Bless Your Meditation + Yoga Space (Optional but Recommended)
It’s a good idea to bless your mediation + yoga space before you use it. Choose 1 or 2 of the options below after you have picked an area and decorated it to your liking. The idea is to make the area fresh and new by removing any stale or negative energy clinging to it. This also helps to establish your area as a new space to be respected and cherished.
- Clean the area with witch hazel (use 1c. of witch hazel in 1 gallon of water). Wipe down all surfaces, accessories, and decorations.
- Clean the area with white sage water (a handful of dried sage in a gallon of warm water, let sit for 30 minutes before using). Wipe down all surfaces, accessories, and decorations.
- Smudge the area with white sage.
- Clean the area with vinegar water (use 1c. of white vinegar in 1 gallon of water). Wipe down all surfaces, accessories, and decorations.
- Spray the area with an essential oil spray bottle (Choose one: put 15 drops of either lavender, lemon, or orange essential oil in a spray bottle with 1c. of water. Shake before using)
- Say a prayer in and around the area:
Thank you God for this time and place. Thank you for all the experiences that have brought me to this moment. Let this space be clear of any and all negativity. Allow me to find growth, joy, freedom, and peace in this space. Bless this area for the highest and best. So it is, Amen.
*This is an example of a cleansing prayer that you may use if you have trouble creating your own. Feel free to use it for inspiration to help you come up with one or modify it to fit your personal spiritual beliefs.
Creating a personal space for your mediation and yoga practice can be fun and fulfilling! Making your own area for growth and peace of mind is priceless. It’s always nice to do something for yourself, and it helps to reinforce a daily practice if you have a happy little space to use.
Leave a picture of your new Meditation + Yoga Space in the comments section, and let us know how you enjoyed the tutorial!